Empanada Short Cuts!

I had happened to run across a new business whose sole specialty is 'Empanadas'.  And some other Columbian goodies.  They looked so lovely, I bought six to take home. 

When I got them home, I was not all too fond of the fillings but then again I am not Columbian.  That may have had something to do with it.  And then the cost factor of what paid for them each, eh.  Street food in one country, once get's a visa costs rise right up there with in dining American food. 

I experimented and made some fillings of my own that I know I would be more apt to my and my family's tastebuds.  And I think if you are used to empanada's but just don't have the time to be a total 'aunty' in the kitchen about it... here is my trick. 

Make your favorite filling.  Savory, sweet, mixed.. whatever your hearts desire.   My trick was to purchase Pillsbury Flaky Biscuits.  Make up an egg wash of an egg or two depending on how many empanadas you are going to make.

Preheat the oven to 350.

Pull out a biscuit round and roll out on wax paper or counter with some flour.  Egg wash the edges of the side you will be putting the filling in.  Put your filling in enough to make a hearty pouch but not too much.  Close it up and crimp the edges with your fingers or a fork.  Place on a baking sheet.  Once filled up the baking sheet with empanadas, egg wash the tops of all of them and bake for 17 minutes.  Well 17 minutes works for me in California, you may need more or less time let's say if you live in Colorado or Florida. 

Pull out, let cool and serve.  As long as your filling is delicious, Pillsbury makes you look like empanada baker of the year!  Hope you enjoyed this short cut tip!




Comments

Popular Posts