Haitian Spaghetti



Upon my research of Haitian recipes to learn, this one seemed less intimidating to me.  I mean who does not love Spaghetti of many cultures.  And like the Filipino culture, it is commonly made with hot dogs.  Now I am not sure if I have a authentic version as based off a recipe found on Pinterest.

I also read that aside from hot dogs, sausage or smoked herring is commonly used.  Hmmm

  • One pound thin spaghetti.
  • One pound of whatever you choose.  Hot Dogs, Sausage or I guess smoked Herring.  For mine I utilized a turkey kielbasa.
  • One small onion sliced and diced.
  • A few cloves garlic chopped.  I know there is plenty in the Epis but you are only utilizing a spoonful of it.
  • One half of a green or red bell pepper.
  • One small can of tomato paste.
  • One half Scotch Bonnet or Habanero finely minced.  I assume to get the heat of half a Scotch Bonnet you would mince one whole Habanero HOWEVER if you are not even accustomed to the heat of a Habanero, use less than half or maybe none at all but some Scotch Bonnet heat is prevalent in all Haitian dishes. 
  • One teaspoon all purpose seasoning.  I.e. Lawry's.
  • Two sprigs of thyme.
  • A spoonful of Haitian Epis.
  • A couple of spoonful's of Olive Oil.

  1. Get your spaghetti water boiling and cook until al dente.  While that is happening.
  2. Slice your hot dogs, sausages or smoked fish and sauté in the olive oil with the garlic.
  3. Add in all the other ingredients with the meat or fish and sauté for a few minutes.  Add a cup of the pasta water and bring to a boil. 
  4. Add to the cooked spaghetti, toss and enjoy!
  5. Garnish with thyme sprigs if you want.  As usual recipes are the base and feel free to change, tweek, add anything to your liking.
I love different spaghetti recipes from other cultures.  This one was very flavorful and spicy!  



Comments

Popular Posts