Forbidden Rice - Salad

There is a new healthy obsession in my world.  It is called 'Forbidden Rice' aka Black Rice.  A super wonder rice full of nutrients that as so history goes, was only fed to emperors in China back in the day.  What was the story on quinoa... yes yes yes so let's get to it. 

I had this rice in a salad at Boudin's and was blown away.  The super mild but nutty flavor.  Texture was awesome and who knew some rice could be so good in a salad.  I ran out to Sprouts immediately to buy a couple of pounds.  

First I was thinking stir fry then was thinking wanted to recreate the salad I had from Boudin's.  Somehow ended up in between.  This recipe is a day off lazing at home kind of recipe.  It takes a bit of time.

Voila, my Forbidden Rice semi Fry Salad! 

 
Per numerous recipes on the internet, it states to soak this rice overnight.  For this, don't do it!  It will leave you with congealed black rice that is more so utilized for Thai sticky rice desserts.    I did rinse it off and after bringing to a boil, I simmered on low for about 40 minutes.  For this rice utilize two cups of water to every cup of rice.  When cooked pull lid and let cool completely. This could be an hour or so.
 
Tofu.
This I placed the lid from my Martha Stewart Creussette on top of the tofu to pressure out as much water as possibly could.  About an hour spent draining the plate and starting over.  I then cubed the tofu and set aside. 
 
We are going with Sigona's brand balsamic and oils again.  I drizzled a bit of the Sigona's Sesame oil in a hot pan and began to sear my tofu cubes.  About midway I put in a bundle of sliced green onions.  Sear up until browned.   Make sure your rice has completely cooled as at this point is when you will add a bit more sesame oil and stir fry the rice in with the tofu.  Remove and let sit for 15 minutes. 
 
 
There is a pre packaged blend of greens at Safeway called 'Zen' that am digging these days for salads.  You can also cook with this mix.  I placed a couple of handfuls on a plate and topped with my black rice/tofu stir fry.  Tossed it up and then drizzled with Sigona's Honey Ginger Balsamic Vinegar.  I then topped it off with some home made pickled onions and jalapenos. (recipe below).  Folks this Fry/Salad may sound crazy but it is deeeelish!  I guarantee it.  If you are not a tofu person utilize cubes or strips of your favorite meat, tempeh, whatever makes your taste buds go WOW and it's healthy for me too! 
 
People once you realize how easy it is to pickle your favorites, you may never go back to store bought.  We don't live in the ages anymore when your Grandmother used to pickle to store a sack of cucumbers over the winter.  We get fresh produce year round now.  I know there are some great pickled items out on the market but it's so easy just to freshly pickle and spice up your fave veggies. 
 
Pickled Onions and Garlic
  • One purple onion thinly sliced.
  • A couple of Jalapenos or four.  All up to you, sliced as thick as you want the rings.
  • It is always 1 cup of water to half a cup of vinegar.  You can utilize apple cider or regular vinegar.  I chose apple cider. 
  • One spoonful of sugar.
  • One spoonful of kosher or pickling salt. 
  • If you want and have, throw in some coriander seeds, whole peppercorns and any other pickling spices you like. 
For small batches I normally put a cup of water in my two cup measuring glass and heat up a bit in the microwave.  A minute will do.  Add your vinegar, sugar and salt and stir to dissolve.  Some of you might like your pickling sweeter or more tart.  Adjust the sugar and or salt to YOUR liking. 
Add your pickling spices if you want to add any and pour over your sliced items you want to pickle. 
 
Put aside to let set and cool down.  And you are good.  They store in the refrigerator for a week or so.  
 
 


Comments

Popular Posts