Harissa Olive Oil meet Shoulder Lamb Steaks:)

I associate Lamb with all things S.Asian, African, Pakistani and even Chinese.  Sure Aunt Nita made a killer leg of lamb back in the day with a side of mint jelly.  Hence because I am the only one in the house who will eat it, I have to be more frugal about my purchases to ground lamb, lamb stew for curries and love the Lamb shoulder chops. 
 
Don't let the price of the Lamb shoulder chop price fool you.  It is a great cut of meat, inexpensive and great for grilling.  This go round we are going to Morocco.  Where I believe the Lamb Merguez sausage was born of lamb and harissa.  I came across some lovely Harissa Olive Oil and we are going that route for this simple but pretty healthy dish. 
 
 
Let us get to marinating.  You can do this in one eve but I like to let the chops marinate overnight.
 
  • 1/2 cup of Harissa Olive Oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon of Tumeric
  • At your discretion if really like it kicked up.  Add a bit of Indian chile powder or a tablespoon of actual harissa.
  • 1/2 teaspoon of Garam Masala
  • 1 tablespoon of Ginger/Garlic paste.     
Marinate your chops overnight.  When ready to cook pull out in enough time to set to room temp before grilling.  This will not kill you, make you sick.  But the flavors and grilling will shine when cooked at fairly room temp. 
 
When ready to grill, grill on a medium to high setting about 5 minutes per side.  Let rest.
Most will want to add a starch maybe some rice on the side.  I'm going carb'less for this meal.
 
Beet and Cucumber Recipe
 
This one is super simple and super delicious.  It is very much up to you on how much to make per if just feeding yourself or a whole party of folks. 
  • For just me as I know I would enjoy the next day a few times, 1 bunch of beets or one can of pickled beets.  Hey shoot me, sometimes we get busy.   If you get fresh beets just cut the stems and roast in the oven at 400 for 30 minutes.  The skins will peel right off.  When I'm tired I am a true fan of the canned sliced pickled beets.  Either way julienne when purchase or roast.
  • One large cucumber large chop julienne. 
  • One bunch of green onion. 
  • 1/2 spoonful of cumin powder. 
  • Salt and Pepper to taste. 
  • Lemon juice..  Toss and set in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes. 
 




Comments

Popular Posts