Gruyere, King of Comfort Cheese, Grilled Gruyere, Apple and Ham Panini's
GRILLED GRUYERE, APPLE and HAM PANINI's
- Granny Smith Apples, One large should be good for up to 4 good size sandwiches. Slice somewhat thin.
- Butter, to butter the outsides of your sandwiches and to saute up your apples.
- Fresh thyme if you have it. If not, no big deal.
- Grated Gruyere, enough to cover however many sandwiches you need to make.
- Black Forest Ham, about 2 full slices to each sandwich.
- Loaf of crusty bread. I purchased a ACME sweet batard loaf and sliced rather thick. 1.5-2 inch slices.
- Dijon Mustard with seeds. Of course you can use whatever mustard or any spread you want inside. It is to help tone down the sweetness of the apples and ham.
- Butter for the outsides of the bread that will be touching the pan or grill.
** Utilize whatever sliced deli meats you would like to your taste. Or none at all and maybe add in a few items of your own if vegetarian. Apples, pears, basil, pesto.. let your mind build your recipe.
Place sliced apples in one layer with enough butter to just wake and tender them up a bit. About a minute on each side with some fresh thyme. Feel free to utilize whatever butter, butter like or even mayo to do this. Remember any recipe can be modified to your liking and what you have on hand.
I utilized a panini press and set it to that line just on the border of hot and sear. Butter both sides of the outside of the sandwich. Place your dijon seedy mustard on the inside of both slices and build your sandwich. I did shredded cheese, ham, apples layered and then you can do it all another time of another layer of cheese, ham and apple but two is about enough layers so when you grill it, your fillings do not slide out.
These are fun, easy and fun for kids to help out also. Serve with whatever your fave side is convenient for the eve whether be a salad, chips or as we did a soup as been pretty cold in the Bay Area recently.
Enjoy and remember, Life it Too Short To Eat Badly!