Salsify Root, Baked. The Experience!

Every once in a while we get something in that I've never seen before.  Salsify Root's were a newbie to me and doing my usual MO, I purchased and Googled!


Baked Salsify Root

One thing was adamant on the net about after peeling to soak in lemon juice with a tad of water or add much lemon juice while cooking.  I am not sure why.  Maybe they turn a unappetizing color.  Have no idea.  Hence I peeled these babies, threw in some half lemon juice and half water.  

I read you should not boil them or they become mushy but good to give them a nice pre boil before baking or sauteing.  So I boiled them for about five minutes and threw them in the oven for about 25 minutes on 350 with some garlic, herbs and butter as had no idea what to expect.


What I got was a tender root veggie that yes maybe there is a hint of oyster flavor in the background.  Maybe more had I not added butter, garlic and herbs.  It was fine and not sure what or why people would search these out.  Doubt would buy them again as would probably prefer a root vegetable with a bit more for a lot less work.  But if was living in the woods and this is what came across, I'll know what to do!

Comments

Popular Posts