Chinese Lunch Box - Ribs


Firstly I apologize.  For some reason I cannon flip the main picture to the position I want.  Driving me nuts as in the correct position on my laptop but blogger do be messin' with moi!  Onward and upward.  Worse things going on in the world today!

So every once in a while I get a craving for these 'Chinese Lunch Boxes' we used to get from Ophelia's in Cupertino.  Ophelia's has since closed and I am no where near Cupertino anymore to grab one for lunch anyway.  But it was this beautiful looking printed box and when opened it it had compartments.  Not quite a Bento but who knows.  You would get a protein like fish and pork or a little of both over steamed rice, a chinese side green, Soy sauce stewed eggs and a lil nibbly of boiled peanuts with those lil teeny tiny dried fish.  The peanuts was cool with but a bite of one of those lil dried fish and your breath was done for the rest of the day!  I don't get to Cupertino much anymore.  Need to go do a foodie tour of all the new places popping up.  

Anyway we had baby backs on sale at work for a crazy price of like $3.99 a pound.  And we get high quality meats so had to go there once I also got the guys to cut them in 3rds lengthwise. 

I salt and pepper them and slow braise them down in the oven on 250 for 30 minutes. 



Grab a nice starchy pasty Asian sauce of your choice.  I grabbed some Chinese BBQ Sauce, added to a bowl over half of it as had a good deal of ribs.  I also added a tablespoon of dark soy and a squirt of Sriracha if you wish to kick it up a bit.  Mix and wait until the first 30 minutes have past.  Go in, Bast the ribs on the side you have facing up and flip and baste that side as well.    When those 30 minutes have passed kick the oven up to 350 and baste the ribs again.  
They should be nice and tender, glazed well and ready to roll!!
I steamed some rice, quickly stir fried some bok choy,  brown mushrooms and garlic.  Would normally use a dried Chinese mushroom you would see at all the Chinese Supermarkets but was to tired to stop at one on my way home.  Traditional soy stewed eggs, there are different recipes but I just hard boil my eggs, and remove from the hot water reserving enough to cover the eggs.  Peel the eggs, add dark soy about 1/4 cup with a tablespoon of sugar.  I have no idea what the sugar does; hence many traditional recipes have some sort of sugar, rock sugar and some even some other recipes but I just wanted to get there quick.  
Sliced the ribs ups, some for dinner, some for lunch the next day and shared with some of the butchers to try out. 
Delicious, tender and juicy.  
Remember life it too short to eat badly!!

Comments

Popular Posts