Roast Pork with Sauerkraut and Apples

This dish is nostalgic of the years my husband had of his father whom passed when my husband was only 16.  Anyway I make it for him at least once a month in memory of my father in law.  

You need very little.  And I prefer to buy a rib eye pork roast which can find always.  It's also cost effective and feel the best cut of pork roast you can get.
  • Figure about 1/2 a pound of meat per person.  I picked up a 1.5lb roast as just the hubby and I.  It was the smallest could get.
  • Sauerkraut.  I go with about a pound as what can find in the smallest amount.  If you don't use it all with the pork goes great with brats, hot dogs.  
  • 1 onion.  Medium to large.
  • 2 apples, Tart Granny Smith feel are excellent for this dish.
  • Salt, pepper and smoked paprika.
  • Dark maple balsamic vinegar, if you have it or can find it... is excellent with roast pork.  So is expresso and chocolate balsamic vinegars.
  1. Rub your pork roast down with salt, pepper and smoked paprika.  Generously.
  2. Pre heat oven to 350.     
  3. Prep your dutch oven and place in your sauerkraut, in.  Slice apples and onions and toss in with the Sauerkraut.  

  1. Get a pan fairly hot.  A bit past medium high to high on the stove.  Sear off your pork roast and place on top of the sauerkraut, apple and onion mixture.  If you have caraway seed it adds a nice flavor to the kraut mixture but optional.  If you opted for the maple balsamic, pour to coat the pork roast.
Cook for about 20-25 minutes until temps at 155.  Sometime's I pull out at 145 as cooking in a dutch oven, it's going to continue cooking and no one likes a dry pork.  It continues cooking faster than it sits.
Of course my husband remembers this fondly having with his father with mashed potatoes.  
RIP JOE



Comments

Popular Posts