Orzo Pasta Salad, Italian style with a Calabria Chili Pecorino
We always have new cheeses coming in at work. One of the newbies is a vendor from Sicily of a few different types of Pecorino. One has whole peppercorns, the other pistachio and the one I used for this recipe is a nice spicy pecorino with calabria chili.
ORZO PASTA SALAD WITH CALABRIA PEPPER PECORINO
- 1 package of orzo pasta.
- 2 small jars or half of a large jar of marinated artichoke hearts quartered.
- Roasted Red Pepper Strips, or whole and slice into strips.
- Olives of your choice, and your amount choice.
- Pearl Mozzarella Balls
- Thick sliced pecorino, cut into inch length small slices.
- Olive oil or a vinaigrette or bottled Italian salad dressing. I used basil infused and some lemon infused olive oil, generous to coat and about 1/4 red wine vinegar.
- Fresh herbs, Italian Parsley
- Garlic powder to taste or roasted garlic or minced garlic. If using raw garlic break down in a bit of vinegar for about 15 minutes.
- Cherry tomatoes halved. One small container
- Sundried tomato strips in oil. Half a regular jar or as many or little or none at all if you do not like them.
- Salt/pepper to taste.
All these ingredients are up to you, I am going this direction because have the Calabria pecorino but things to keep in mind, oil is key in making this as the ingredients will continue to soak up but you can have this dish for up to a week! You can add more oil based dressing or just a olive oil to it over the course of the week as you continue to eat it.
You can take the base recipe as Orzo loves diversity in any direction. Maybe greek with feta, cucumbers and red onion. Maybe a nicoise with capers, tomatoes and tuna.. mmmmm
Mexican with chicken, corn, black beans, chili's, tomatoes and onions. Just a base idea and you can run with it any direction you would like.
Remember, life is too short to eat badly!