Roasted Chicken Thighs with Winter Squash
This was influenced by a post by the NY Times hence I try to cut back on any sugar in my foods. It's amazing what a good balsamic can do and cut back on the glucose going into your body.
- Chicken thighs. Figure how many you are feeding but I bought 4 bone in for two of us.
- Lemon, thinly sliced.
- Olive oil.
- Chopped sage or dried, a tsp per 4 thighs.
- 1 tsp coriander seeds or dried if more convenient.
- Kosher salt and pepper.
- 1/4 cup Maple balsamic or Maple syrup. I chose balsamic to eliminate the sugar.
- 3 tbs unsalted butter cubed.
- Chile powder, one large pinch or more to your taste.
- 1 squash such as acorn, delicata or whatever is your fave. Cut open, seed out and slice into rings.
- Scallions sliced into 1/4 diameter.
In a large bowl toss your chicken thighs with the olive oil, lemons, salt, pepper, and spices. Place over the squash on a shallow pan or whatever you have. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes then hike up to 500 for another 15-20 minutes. Last 5 minutes of baking, drizzle your maple balsamic or maple syrup over the chicken and squash. Serve and enjoy. A great winter dish. Hearty but healthy!!
Wine suggestions are a nice red wine such as from Rioja Spain or a Cotes du Rhone or Bordeaux from France. These options are great with winter meat dishes. And thanks to global trade, easily found in the US:)