This recipe was definitely inspired by Marcella Valladolid's recipe, 'Corn and Poblano Lasagna'. However as a native of S. Colorado, heavily influenced by the cultures and foods of my upbringing; I changed it up a bit with a bit of our New Mexican and Italian faves.
Ingredients you will need are:
- Poblanos or Colorado/New Mexico Green/Big Jim, or Jalapenos.. or a mixture of whatever your fave roasted green chili is. Equal to one pound.
- Pint of heavy cream.
- Corn fresh, frozen or canned. Fresh always when in season! About four cups.
- Garlic. 4 cloves.
- Sprig of Thyme.
- One box of Barilla Oven Ready Lasagne sheets.
- Ricotta Cheese, the mid size tub.
- Zucchini. 3 to 4.
- Butter or olive oil to sauté.
- Masa Harina, two heaping spoonful's, optional.
- One package of Oaxaca cheese or mozzarella. Three cups shredded.
- 9x13 lasagna baking vessel.
- Knife your corn kernels off the cob or measure out your canned or frozen corn to four cups.
- Chop up your garlic. I like more so I use about four to six cloves.
- Pre heat oven to 350.
- Slice your zucchini into rounds.
- Get your butter started or olive oil and sauté 3 cups of the corn with half of the garlic and the leaves from the sprig of thyme for maybe five minutes. Poor the corn in with the cream into a blender and blend. Add the two heaping spoonful's of Masa Harina and blend again until pureed. The Masa Harina (corn flour used to make tamales) thickens your sauce. Totally optional. Set aside.
- Get some butter going in your pan and throw in the remaining garlic with your sliced into rounds zucchini and remaining corn until begin to tender. Add your chopped roasted chili's of your choice and sprinkle with a bit of garlic salt. cook for a few more minutes and turn off the stove.
- Get your your 9x13 lasagna baking vessel and the box of no boil lasagna sheets out.
- Ladel enough of the creamed corn mixture on the bottom of the baking vessel. Dip one of the no boil lasagna sheets into the creamed corn and start to lay them down into the baking dish.
- Open your container of ricotta and you can either spoon it onto the first layer of sheets or put in a gallon plastic bag, cut one of the corners and pipe it across the sheets to make a layer of ricotta. I used the whole mid sized container of ricotta because it is the only layer in the dish.
- Spoon your zucchini, chili mixture over the ricotta. Sprinkle some Oaxaca or Mozzarella over that and lets do it again with the no boil lasagna sheets. Dip into the creamed corn and start your second layer.
- This go round layer the remaining chili, zucchini mixture. Sprinkle with another cup of the shredded cheese and place your final layer of dipped lasagna sheets over the second layer. Sprinkle the 3rd cup of cheese over it. I actually had some shredded habanero cheese I added to the top layer also.
- Pour the remaining creamed corn mixture over the lasagna and cover with foil.
- Bake at 350 for approximately 50 minutes.
- After 50 minutes remove foil, and turn your oven to broil. Broil for about 8 or 9 minutes if you like that crusted toasty brown cheese or less time if you do not want it as toasty.
Pull from oven and let set about 20 minutes so that your slices are still warm to hot but slice perfectly.