My try at Diri Djon Djon aka Haitian Black Rice

As stated I'm kind of on this kick to learn more of Haitian cooking.  Of course when heard about this rice dish as every culture has one, I had to make it.  However we don't have Djon Djon mushrooms or Scotch Bonnet peppers on the West Coast.  I was dead on determined to get some.  This I did by ordering the dried Djon Djon from Sam's Caribbean in NY.  Two bags, some scotch bonnet hot sauce and some Guava Jelly.  Not all for this recipe but wanted those things.  $20 bucks in shipping but eh.  I was so excited when my box arrived.  And tell ya, Sam's was very professional and shipped immediately.  Next time, getting the Easter Cake!!


I followed this bubbly Vlogger's recipe almost to a 'T'.  However I think I should have left the mushrooms in as did not turn out as dark as all the other dishes have seen on the internet.  Regardless it was good. 

  • 1 cup of Djon Djon mushroom, and 2 cups water to steep.
  • 2 cups jasmine rice.  I'll try basmati next time.
  • 1 cup or so of Lima beans, peas or chickpeas.  I used fresh Fava Bean's from Sigona's.
  • Sprig of thyme.
  • 2-3 tablespoons oil.
  • 1/2 Edward and sons vegan bouillon cube.  Actually I think any bouillon cube would do with a bit of sodium to amp up the flavor. 
  • 1 small onion chopped.
  • Slices of green and red peppers.  About 6 or so.
  • 1/2tsp granulated garlic, granulated onion and Lawry's Seasoning Salt. 
  • Couple of tablespoons of Epis.  (Haitian Spice Paste)
  • 1 Scotch Bonnet or Habanero if you are like me on the West Coast where Scotch Bonnets do not exist. 


  1. Bring mushrooms to steep and drain.  Next time I'll probably do this overnight to strengthen the flavor.
  2. Saute all your spices and fresh veggies for about 15 minutes or so.
  3. Add steeped Djon Djon water, drained is how I see many prefer but next time I'm keeping the mushrooms in.
  4. Add Habanero or Scotch Bonnet pepper.  Pierce the pepper if you really want to kick the heat up.  Then add rice to the pot and cook for 20-25 minutes.  You will know as in Cali only about 1 2/3 cup liquid is needed as opposed to the East Coast. 


I decided to add Lima Beans on top all the Fava beans as did not think there were enough.  This was good, but I'll definitely do a few things differently next time:)  If anyone knows where I can order the Maggie Djon Djon cubes, let me know.

Remember Life is Too Short To Eat Badly!


Comments

Popular Posts