Farmer's Market Chowder

I believe inspiration for this one came from 'Vegetarian Times' Magazine.  I would love to list the link for you but their website and that darn huge pop up I can never get past.  Sigh, that's why I subscribe by mail:)  This certainly is a summer go to your local Farmer's Market, best Market to get the most righteous fresh ingredients of the season.  Eh we know where I went.  Sigona's!

Now if you have been following me you know I take an recipe and kind of make it to my liking.  One summer thing I do love is curry leaves which you can get at most Indian Grocery this time of year.  I also found some beans never saw before in life at Sigona's.  Cranberry beans.  They are gorgeous until you cook them and they turn color a bit.  It's ok.  I had to buy and try them. 


 
The original recipe called for sherry and I bought some.  However I'm not sure it is really needed.  States on the bottle it brings out flavors but I'm skeptical. 
 
  • Curry leaves - 8
  • 4 large ears of corn, kernels removed and cobs reserved.
  • 5 cloves garlic minced.  (I like garlic)
  • Butter and Olive oil. 
  • 1 teaspoon Garam Masala.
  • 1/3 cup Dry Sherry.
  • Creamer potatoes quartered, about 10.
  • Green beans, 1/2 lb cleaned and cut into 1-2 inch pieces.  Up to you.
  • I had some leftover fresh, half a cauliflower.  I added that too.
  • Lime wedges.
  • 2 1/2 cups low fat milk.  Eh I threw in some leftover cream too. 
  • 1 tablespoon of ginger paste.
  • 1 small onion chopped.
  • 1/2 lb mushrooms of your choice. 
  • 1-2 Serrano peppers sliced if you like a bit of heat.
 
I just threw all the dry ingredients into a pot and started to sauté them to get them awake and mingle with each other for a good 15-20 minutes.  Then I added the milk and sherry and let simmer for an hour.   
 
 
Cut up the lime wedges and squeeze onto the chowder which I think that really brings out the freshness of all the ingredients.  This was a great 'Market Chowder'.  Next time I might cook down the cranberry beans a bit more but it was my first time at the rodeo with them and all came out great regardless. 
 
 
Remember Life is Too Short To Eat Badly!



Comments

Popular Posts